We are absolutely dedicated to providing the best possible treatment to our patients on the Northey Suite. All cancer patients have their care and treatment discussed by a meeting of experts known as a multidisciplinary team meeting. The Cancer Services department co-ordinates these meetings and ensures that all the relevant clinical information is available for discussion.
The members of these meetings are all experts in different areas of cancer care, and may travel from different treatment centres to attend. Members of the team can include:
- Oncologists (specialists in chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Palliative care professionals
- Speech and language therapists
- Specialist multidisciplinary team co-ordinators.
At the meeting, the multidisciplinary team will discuss and agree cancer treatments to recommend to the patient for the best prognosis and outcome.
The team can only recommend treatments – you will always have the final say in the care you receive.